Associates in Family Medicine
The clinical staff member supports the provider in delivering quality healthcare to AFM patients. This position is crucial to the over-all care that AFM provides to patients in that they have one-on-one contact with the patients. Employee must be compassionate, helpful, understanding yet also very efficient, accurate and friendly. This position requires specific medical knowledge, technical skills, communication skills and a positive attitude.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Triages patients and administers appropriate treatment under the direction of a physician or other medical provider staff.
- Triages phone calls and walk in patients for evaluation of urgency and priority throughout the day.
- Always administer medications/immunizations per medical protocol as needed.
- Always maintain a professional appearance during work hours.
- Always provide appropriate medical advice based on knowledge and/or what the provider specifies.
- Inform patients of lab/test/procedure results after provider has reviewed as needed.
- Always document information of any nature given to patients in the patient chart.
- Escort patients to exam rooms and obtain and document accurate vital signs at each visit, (include BP, pulse, weight, temperature, respiration, Diabetic foot check, tobacco exposure. [plus vision, height, hearing, glucose, pro-time, etc. as needed].
- Assist provider with exams including setting up exam rooms for procedures as needed.
- Refill prescriptions based on provider specifics as needed.
- Always adhere to AFM policies and procedures.
- Perform some office procedures, (ear irrigation, nebulizer, blood draw, suture removals, etc.) as needed.
- Acquire appropriate authorization with insurance companies when scheduling medical tests/procedures for patients when needed.
- Maintain knowledge of the current EMR, (electronic medical record) including the ability to document and find necessary information in a patient’s medical record.
- Follow documented workflows when working in the EMR.
- Assist other nursing staff with their duties when needed.
- Rotate throughout the day with caring for out-patients/walk-ins.
- Always ensure patient safety while in the clinic by helping them to and from the exam room, making them comfortable regarding their medical condition, etc.
- Return patient phone calls in a timely manner. (No later than the next business day, depending on urgency of the call).
- Ability to perform technical office procedures, (labs, EKG, NST, Spirometry, etc.)
- Ability to open and close the back office. Must be available to rotate in these duties as needed.
- Available to help other specialty or AFM offices along with pharmacies with care for AFM patients as needed.
- Assist the provider with patient paperwork, (filling out forms, etc.) as needed.
- Stock and clean the exam rooms and maintain individual assigned duties, including helping with laundry.
- Notify the appropriate individual/supervisor when office/medical supplies need to be ordered.
- Establish flexibility in daily schedule because it is unknown what the work day has in store.