We are very proud to offer our Sports Medicine program to the physically active and/or injured population of Northern Colorado. Associates in Family Medicine’s Sports Medicine program was developed to provide comprehensive care to the increasing number of recreational and professional athletes in the area, as well as anyone who has bone, joint or tendon pain or any sort of injury. Patients of all ages and ability levels can be thoroughly evaluated and have customized treatment plans developed. Sports Medicine specialists address injuries and musculoskeletal conditions, as well as emphasizing injury prevention and fitness promotion. A major focus of sports medicine is returning patients to their activities as efficiently, quickly and safely as possible. All family medicine providers have training and experience in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal injuries and the AFM sports medicine program offers additional expertise.
Dr. Brad Abrahamson is a fellowship trained certified Sports Medicine specialist who has additional advanced training in orthopedics. Dr. Abrahamson has been doing sideline coverage in Fort Collins and Loveland since 2007 and was the Team Physician for Windsor HS from 2003-2006. He is also a former cycling coach and has expertise and training through USA Cycling on sport physiology. He also coaches youth basketball and flag football.
Dr. Abrahamson and see patients in our state-of-the-art facility at 1107 S. Lemay and appointments can be scheduled by calling 970-484-1757. Digital x-rays are available on-site and at AFM’s Urgent Care Clinic.
Additional services provided at the Sports Medicine Clinic on Lemay include:
- “Return-to-play” evaluation and guidance
- Ultrasound imaging used diagnostically to view soft tissues and used therapeutically to accurately guide injections into precise areas when necessary (interior hip and SI joint, interior shoulder joint, tendon sheaths etc.)
- Gait analysis and training
- Throwing evaluation (overhead athletes such as baseball pitchers) and training
- Management of concussion with an interdisciplinary team of other experts
- Reduction and splinting and casting of fractures
- Joint and tendon injection
- Hyalgan and Euflexxa for osteoarthritis of the shoulder and knee
- Joint and soft tissue diagnosis and treatment
- Real-time MRI and X-ray reading and interpretation
- Exercise prescription
- Thoughtful selection and prescription of personalized Physical Therapy programs
- Reassurance when your injury is stable
Some fractures require reduction and Dr. Abrahamson has partnered with Surgery Center of Fort Collins as well as Poudre Valley Hospital to provide conscious sedation and fluoroscopy to assist with fracture reductions as needed. The clinic also features multiple cast colors and waterproof casts. AFM’s Sports Medicine specialists work closely with local orthopedic surgeons for injuries or conditions that might require surgery. Second opinions are offered as well. Occasionally Dr. Abrahamson is called upon to appear in court as an expert witness.
Don’t let injuries keep you out of the game or activity!